This is my Masters Class in Dating, founded by Tamara Duricka Johnson. The goal is to get back to the basics of dating, by going on first dates in June. Each date will be a first date. I will write about it afterward. We'll hopefully have fun and come out as at least friends.

Saturday, June 28, 2014

Andrew

Second date in Wichita was with Andrew, the new roommate of my friend's friend. I had originally suggested we check out the Riverwalk, depending on how hot and humid it turned out to be on Saturday. It was raining just before we left, and humid (I can't ever talk about Kansas without mentioning how oppressive I feel the humidity is), so instead we hit up the Wichita Art Museum near downtown.

Museums are cool places to spend an afternoon. Some pieces are really interesting, some are completely amazing, some are a bit odd, and some are so beautiful you want to purchase them. We walked around the entire museum commenting on the pieces we liked and didn't like--turns out we both like our art big and colorful. The museum also has a cool blown glass exhibit right now and the pieces were pretty spectacular.

We were both hungry after the museum, but since neither of us are familiar with Wichita (he just moved here a week ago, I've only been once for a conference) we had to break out our smartphones to find a place. We settled on a hamburger place on 37th called Fizz Burgers and Bottles.

Andrew grew up in Northern Utah, went to Utah State, then went to med school at a school just outside of LA. He's a pediatrician starting his residency at a hospital in Wichita. He is not colorblind, however he failed the inkblot test for the Air Force, so.... He likes soccer (more than baseball), however he only plays recreationally because his parents did not have the foresight to put him in soccer when he was a kid. Instead he was placed in football, and pretty soon everyone was bigger than him. He jokingly said that he had gotten over this.

The burger joint was airing World Cup soccer, and we saw Columbia score twice on Uruguay. I also had one of the most amazing hamburgers ever. Delicious and spicy, it steamed as I took bites out of it. We had sweet potato and regular french fries with a variety of sauces. If you're ever in Wichita you should definitely try this place out.

Andrew is cool (cool is such a generic term, but Andrew isn't generic--I'm just tired). He's nice and polite, at one point offering me his sunglasses because I had forgotten mine and the sun was quite bright. He's funny in a non-overt way,  making comments about artwork or seeing a cockamouse. He rolled with whatever happened, even with my lack of communication about what we were doing. He is easy to be around and I enjoyed our afternoon together.

Having two dates in one day is kind of strange, and I admit I was a little stressed about it. Mainly I didn't want either of the guys to "feel like a number". What I love about the project is that I've been able to meet people I probably wouldn't have before, even with having mutual friends.

Sorry no pictures; I had weathered humidity and rain and, well, my hair was flat.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Template by Blogger Candy