This is my Masters Class in Dating, founded by Tamara Duricka Johnson. The goal is to get back to the basics of dating, by going on first dates in June. Each date will be a first date. I will write about it afterward. We'll hopefully have fun and come out as at least friends.

Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Josh

When I called Josh and asked what he'd like to do, I was a little nervous. What would I find to do in Topeka on a Wednesday night? Watch paint dry? Walk down the barren and deserted Kansas Avenue? He suggested we get dinner so we could talk and get to know each other. He also said he'd drive from Olathe to Topeka (about an hour drive). This dude was getting cool points.

I decided to go to The Globe in downtown Topeka. I love this restaurant, and since it's not extremely busy I knew it'd be a good place to actually talk. It's really difficult to have a conversation when you're talking really loud to be heard over the music/chatter/whatever.

So over our excellent Indian food we talked. Josh is at KU studying mechanical engineering. There are lots of different engineers, and a mechanical one is a "jack of all trades," however he's interested in energy conservation. Yes, I find that completely awesome. Planners and engineers have to work together a lot, since planners plan but don't build (I guess you could say that engineers build but don't plan....). He shared the story of his sister getting proposed to before they headed out on a family trip to Florida. I shared that I feel very strongly that proposals should only happen when you know what the answer is going to be and should be done in a way that the girl would approve of (i.e. don't do it in public if she'd hate it).

Guess what else? I grew up in Pocatello and he served his mission in Pocatello! No way, right?! Idaho truly is a very cool place.

The night was still young, so when we were done eating I suggested we get ice cream. I always think ice cream is a good idea, and Josh didn't disagree. So we headed to Dairy Queen, which is a pretty happenin' place in Topeka. The weather was perfect. We ate our Blizzards as we talked about all sorts of things--movies we've seen, movies we want to see, calligraphy, book binding, sewing, fixing things, red devil eyes, waiting for missionaries, my fat cat, being crafty, people who can get fanatical about tv shows. I may have went into a long diatribe about Brett Ratner and George Lucas. Sometimes that happens.

I asked some strangers to take our picture. At this
point our blizzards were completely eaten, so we are pretending that we are still eating them. Don't we look believable?

Josh says he's shy, but I didn't get that from him at all. Conversation was easy and it felt like we were old friends. It was one of those really great evenings. He's a very cool guy and I'm very glad our mutual friends put us in contact with one another. This blog post has not done him near enough justice. To that I say, "Fair enough."


0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Template by Blogger Candy